Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
February 18, 2016
The Truckee Raptors youth basketball team took first place in the Xtreme Hoops "Hearts and Hoops" Tournament at the Hardwood Palace in Rocklin on Feb. 14.
Head coach Tony Valosek's main focus was a strong team defense. He started out with a half-court bullet defense, then mixed in a torpedo full-court press, and also used some straight up man-on-man team defense.
Everyone on the team scored.
The youngest on the Raptors and in the tournament was 10-year-old Ethan "Left Hand Dribble" Raymore, who showed his teammates how to run an inbounds play to perfection.
Running on the wings were Cole "Set Shot" Thompson, Mark "Dr. Hustle" VanGelder and Teige "Catch a Flight" Wright.
Playing down low were Armand "This is My House" Baldwin clawing the boards, Trevor "The Horse" Stockholm eating up rebounds and Riley "Windex" Thompson cleaning the glass.
Recommended Stories For You
The trio that ran the floor were TT "Shake n Bake" Valosek, Logan "Coast to Coast" Pruski and Troy "Flyin Hawaiian" Creighton.
The Raptors gave a total team effort with lots of hustle, motivated by coach Craig Pruski constant reminder that,"a hustling team is hard team to beat."
The coaches were proud of the Raptors' sportsmanship toward the opposing players, coaches and referees. They were a class act in the tournament and true champions.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list