Truckee Renegades shut out McQueen
October 20, 2011
The Truckee Wolverines of the Sierra Youth Football League Renegade Division (8-9 years old) upended McQueen, 33-0, this past Saturday to improve to 5-2 on the year.
After forcing a three-and-out to start the game, Truckeeand#8217;s Patrick Hogan scooped up the punt and he followed a wall of Wolverines, including Dillon Kane, George Skaff, Nate Bromley, Drake Riina and Dylan Lewis, into the end zone 66 yards later.
Truckeeand#8217;s defense stepped up again, forcing a fumble on third down that was pounced on by Braedy Santens. On third down Santens dropped back and hit Hogan for a 52-yard touchdown strike.
The Lancers punted after losing yardage on three consecutive plays. Running backs Connor McMullen, Owen Slusher, Mongo Kelly and Hogan marched the ball down the field behind the offensive line of Mason Cutler, Gaven Kelly-Caruthers, Joe Panelli, Eric Spillman and Garrett Kirk. The drive ended with a key block by Zach Poncelet to spring Kelly, who went around the corner for the first of his two TDs on a 22-yard run
and#8220;These boys really grew up today and flew into tackles all day long,and#8221; said coach Chris Skaff. and#8220;The team is really peaking at the end of the season just in time for the playoffs.and#8221;
and#8220;If I had to guess, McQueen had less than 50 yards in offense today,and#8221; said defensive coach TK Kelly.
Recommended Stories For You
Santens picked up the second-half kickoff and promptly scampered 71 yards to the Lancer 4-yard line. Two plays later Santens punched it in from the 2.
The Lancers, who fell to 4-3 on the year, struggled to move the ball against the dominating defensive front of Eric Sather, Jesse Meyer, Kelly-Caruthers and McMullen, who punched in two PATs on the day.
Truckee takes on the 0-7 Reno Renegade team on Saturday at Riverview Park.
and#8212; This article was submitted to Sports Editor Sylas Wright at email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit