Truckee-Tahoe athletes run Lake Sonoma 50
May 1, 2014
Peter Broomhall led a sizable contingent of Lake Tahoe-area runners in the Lake Sonoma 50 endurance run on April 11.
Broomhall, 35, recorded a 31st-place finish in a field of 301 finishers in the popular 50-mile race, posting a time of 8 hours, 8 minutes, 12 seconds. The race is part of the Montrail Ultra Cup Series.
Zach Miller, a 25-year-old from Columbia, Penn., won the race with a time of 6:11:10 and was followed by Rob Krar (6:12:14) of Flagstaff, Ariz., and Sage Canaday (6:12:58) of Boulder, Colo.
Emily Harrison of Flagstaff was the top woman and 15th overall in 7:26:15. Stephanie Howe (7:33:24) of Bend, Ore., was second in the women's field and Kaci Lickteig (7:37:42) of Omaha, Neb., was third.
The top three men and top three women earned an entries into the Western States Endurance Run from Squaw Valley to Auburn.
Among other Tahoe-area runners, Ryan Weibel of South Lake Tahoe finished 47th in 8:26:42, Gretchen Brugman of Truckee was 82nd overall and 15th among women in 9:19:40, Paul Sweeney of Truckee was 84th in 9:21:16, and Audrey Staples of Truckee was 87th overall and the 17th woman in 9:23:42. Amber Monforte (9:48:02) of South Lake Tahoe and Betsy Nye (10:35:50) of Truckee also completed the run.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke