Truckee-Tahoe athletes run Lake Sonoma 50
May 1, 2014
Peter Broomhall led a sizable contingent of Lake Tahoe-area runners in the Lake Sonoma 50 endurance run on April 11.
Broomhall, 35, recorded a 31st-place finish in a field of 301 finishers in the popular 50-mile race, posting a time of 8 hours, 8 minutes, 12 seconds. The race is part of the Montrail Ultra Cup Series.
Zach Miller, a 25-year-old from Columbia, Penn., won the race with a time of 6:11:10 and was followed by Rob Krar (6:12:14) of Flagstaff, Ariz., and Sage Canaday (6:12:58) of Boulder, Colo.
Emily Harrison of Flagstaff was the top woman and 15th overall in 7:26:15. Stephanie Howe (7:33:24) of Bend, Ore., was second in the women's field and Kaci Lickteig (7:37:42) of Omaha, Neb., was third.
The top three men and top three women earned an entries into the Western States Endurance Run from Squaw Valley to Auburn.
Among other Tahoe-area runners, Ryan Weibel of South Lake Tahoe finished 47th in 8:26:42, Gretchen Brugman of Truckee was 82nd overall and 15th among women in 9:19:40, Paul Sweeney of Truckee was 84th in 9:21:16, and Audrey Staples of Truckee was 87th overall and the 17th woman in 9:23:42. Amber Monforte (9:48:02) of South Lake Tahoe and Betsy Nye (10:35:50) of Truckee also completed the run.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City