Truckee tennis | Pado, Gotts place third at state
October 28, 2014
Southern Nevada schools may have dominated the Division I-A state tennis championships once again — but Truckee held its own while hosting the individual finals at the Tahoe Donner Tennis Center on Friday.
Truckee's No. 1 boys doubles team, Teagan Pado and Ethan Gotts, finished third in the state. Truckee's boys doubles team of Brandon Flora and Eli Yale placed fourth. Truckee's No. 1 girls singles player, Aimee LaGrandeur, played into the semifinal round. And the girls doubles team of Annie Guerra and Emmy Downing made it to the state quarterfinals.
Pado and Gotts, who entered state as the North's No. 2 seed, opened the tournament with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Adam Lychuk and Dando Fitamo of Spring Valley. On the other side of the bracket, Flora and Yale got past Clark's Christian Ong and Justin Ong, 6-1, 6-1.
Both Truckee doubles teams dropped their semifinal matches, which set up a third-place showdown between the two Wolverine pairs. Pado and Gotts won the third-place match over their teammates, 6-2, 6-4.
LaGrandeur, who entered state as the North's No. 3 seed, won her quarterfinal match by default over Faith Lutheran's Madison Foley. LaGrandeur then lost to Kathleen Wright of Faith Lutheran in the semifinals.
Guerra and Downing, the No. 4 doubles seed from the North, lost to Samantha Gondy and Shalini Shah of The Meadows in the quarterfinal round.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Finishing strong: Bellon surpasses 3K career passing yards; Wolverines close regular season with Sierra Bowl