Truckee tennis | Pado, Gotts place third at state
October 28, 2014
Southern Nevada schools may have dominated the Division I-A state tennis championships once again — but Truckee held its own while hosting the individual finals at the Tahoe Donner Tennis Center on Friday.
Truckee's No. 1 boys doubles team, Teagan Pado and Ethan Gotts, finished third in the state. Truckee's boys doubles team of Brandon Flora and Eli Yale placed fourth. Truckee's No. 1 girls singles player, Aimee LaGrandeur, played into the semifinal round. And the girls doubles team of Annie Guerra and Emmy Downing made it to the state quarterfinals.
Pado and Gotts, who entered state as the North's No. 2 seed, opened the tournament with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Adam Lychuk and Dando Fitamo of Spring Valley. On the other side of the bracket, Flora and Yale got past Clark's Christian Ong and Justin Ong, 6-1, 6-1.
Both Truckee doubles teams dropped their semifinal matches, which set up a third-place showdown between the two Wolverine pairs. Pado and Gotts won the third-place match over their teammates, 6-2, 6-4.
LaGrandeur, who entered state as the North's No. 3 seed, won her quarterfinal match by default over Faith Lutheran's Madison Foley. LaGrandeur then lost to Kathleen Wright of Faith Lutheran in the semifinals.
Guerra and Downing, the No. 4 doubles seed from the North, lost to Samantha Gondy and Shalini Shah of The Meadows in the quarterfinal round.
Trending In: Sports
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million