Truckee tennis | Wolverines edge Manogue in tight match
August 30, 2012
The Truckee boysand#8217; tennis team kicked off the season a day before school even started, traveling down to Bishop Manogue for a matchup that has become a major rivalry in recent years.
Over the past two years, the matches ended in a tie, 9 sets to 9, decided by a tiebreaker. In 2010, Truckee upset Manogue. In 2011, Manogue won the showdown.
Once again, Tuesdayand#8217;s match was close and decided in the final round, with Truckee edging Manogue by a score of 10-8.
Manogue No. 1 singles player, Christian Webber, won all three matches, offset by Truckeeand#8217;s No. 1 doubles team, Aaron Pado and Grayson Forsberg, dominating 6-1, 6-0, 6-4. Pado and Forsberg are in their fourth consecutive year as Truckeeand#8217;s No. 1 doubles team.
A strong showing by Branden Deeter, winning two out of three matches, including a close match against Joe Berry in the No. 2 seed spot, helped lift Truckee in the second round to a 7-5 advantage. Top Truckee singles seed Jake Kamanetsky also won two out of three matches.
and#8220;Truckeeand#8217;s team has some real depth this year with 10 returning seniors,and#8221; said coach Marc Pado.
Recommended Stories For You
The wins by doubles teams Toby Ziegler/Colin Gerrard and Aaron Deeter/Zack Conradson provided the additional margin of victory.
and#8220;This is a great team this year and we expect great things,and#8221; said coach Rick Deeter.
Truckee plays Spanish Springs at Tahoe Donnerand#8217;s Tennis Center on Thursday, Sept. 6.
Trending In: Sports
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener
- Truckee’s Luebke begins quest for Freeride 4-peat
- (VIDEO) North Tahoe boys remain unbeaten on the mountain, Truckee girls pick up second win of season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Prep roundup: Truckee girls look for fifth straight win
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport