Truckee volleyball: Wolverines complete league sweep on senior night
November 4, 2015
In case there was any doubt, the Wolverines confirmed Thursday night that they are the team to beat in the Northern Division I-A.
An emphatic kill by senior Tatum Kula closed the book on a 16-0 league sweep with an impressive win in straight sets over second-place Lowry, 25-20, 25-17, 25-11.
"The girls were on fire," said Truckee coach Erika Murphy, whose Wolverines were fueled by a large home crowd on senior farewell. "Lowry has some great defense, but it was not able to keep up with our momentum."
Truckee will carry a 23-8 record overall and No. 1 seed into the Northern Division I-A regional championship, which will be held at Truckee on Saturday, Nov. 7. The Wolverines have a first-round bye in the six-team tournament. The top two teams from regionals advance to state, which is scheduled for Nov. 13-14 in Henderson.
The Wolverines were on their game Thursday, and it started with their serving. Truckee committed only five service errors on 72 attempts, with 10 aces.
"Serving was the first line of offense for us tonight," Murphy said.
Recommended Stories For You
Junior Maia Dvoracek recorded seven aces to go along with her 18 kills and 29 assists. She had only three errors on her attack out of 36 attempts.
Senior Maddie Haley tallied eight kills and two aces, Anais Fay had six kills, eight digs and 22 serve returns, and Katie Fisher had seven kills and 14 digs. Jordan Brown added 15 assists, and Sierra Halberstadt had 11 serve returns.
Lowry, which fell to 12-3 entering its final regular-season match at Sparks on Friday, is the only DI-A team to defeat Truckee this season — 2-0 in the High Sierra Invitational on Sept. 5. While Truckee went on to win both league meetings against Lowry, the Buckaroos are also the only team in league play to take a set from the Wolverines. Truckee won that match 3-1 — 25-15, 23-25, 25-17, 25-23 — at Lowry on Oct. 2.
Check the NIAA website, http://www.niaa.com, for final regional championship seedings.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers