Truckee’s Fain 3rd in Canyons 50K
May 8, 2014
A number of Truckee/Tahoe athletes competed in the inaugural Canyons 50K race along the historic Western States trail out of Foresthill this past Saturday.
The challenging course featured some 10,000 feet of elevation gain.
Truckee's Peter Fain, 42, led for much of the race and wound up third overall in a field of 100 runners, posting a time of 5 hours, 25 minutes, 37 seconds.
Zach Violett of Bend, Ore., took the win, as the 31-year-old crossed the finish line in 5:04:07. Andy Starostka, 46, of Reno placed second in 5:21:33.
Truckee's Paul Sweeney and Geoff Quine also finished in the top 10, as Sweeney was seventh in 5:44:07 and Quine 10th in 5:57:26.
Luanne Park, 53, of Redding finished first among women and 11th overall with a time of 6:10:19. Jennifer Hemmen of Fair Oaks was the second woman and 12th overall in 6:21:27, and Dolores Bergmann of Chester was the third woman and 16th overall in 6:28:36.
Recommended Stories For You
Betsy Nye of Truckee was the ninth woman in 7:11:15, Helen Pelster was the 15th woman in 7:42:34, and Amy Lapierre of Incline Village was the 19th woman in 8:15:43. Truckee's Sharon Fong, meanwhile, posted her longest run to date with a finish in 10:07:11.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia