Truckee’s Just, Bonneville open season with wins at Alpine Meadows
January 8, 2019
The high school snowboarding season got underway on Tuesday at Alpine Meadows and a pair of Truckee riders put the rest of the league on notice by outdueling the field for first-place finishes on the resort's Kangaroo Run.
Wolverines junior Morgan Just posted two of the fastest runs of the day on the slalom course to win the girls' race; while on the boys' side, last year's state runner-up, Caleb Bonneville, opened the season with a first-place finish.
"I was really happy with the start," said Truckee Coach Eniko Kuch. "We have a full girls' team this year, which is exciting. And we have about 10 boys … a bunch of beginners, but mixed in with those veterans that are strong, I think we are going to have a really good season."
The girls opened the day's racing at Alpine Meadows, and against 27 other competitors, Just proved to be the strongest rider on the slopes with a combined time of 1 minute, 31.25 seconds for first place. North Tahoe's Nina Burt was second with a combined time of 1:32.83. Burt and Just combined for the two fastest times on both of the day's runs. Colfax skier Faith Mora was third with a time of 1:35.94.
The North Tahoe girls took the team win. The Lakers had four skiers finish in the top 12 to take the season-opening race. Cami Carter was fifth with a combined time of 1:45.33, Imogen Strydom was ninth with a combined time of 1:52.18, and Bailey Haas was 12th with a combined time of 2:02.53 to round out the Lakers scoring skiers.
Following the girls' race, the boys took to the hill and Bonneville, a junior, left off where he did last season, throwing down a pair of blazing runs to win the event by nearly five seconds with a combined time of 1:24.36.
Recommended Stories For You
Colfax skiers Ryan Donovan (1:29.12) and Tyler Suddjian (1:29.72) were second and third, respectively, followed by Truckee's Zach Kuch in fourth place with a time of 1:32.21. Truckee's Emmanuel Valenzuela-Jones also broke into the top 20, finishing 18th out of 53 racers with a combined time of 1:51.89.
The Lakers were led by Tavo Sadeg, who finished in eighth place with a combined time of 1:39.36. Teammate Wyatt Johannsson was 10th with a combined time of 1:44.29.
The Colfax boys took the team win.
Racing is scheduled to continue next Monday, Jan. 14, with another round of slalom at Alpine Meadows.
Justin Scacco is a reporter for the Sierra Sun. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe races recognized by nation’s oldest association of running organizations
- North Tahoe’s Anderson, Murnane win high school Nordic opener at Sugar Bowl
- Lakers skiers look to continue winning ways at Alpine Meadows
- Ski wrap: Hurt leads Nor-Am Cup standings as tour heads to US
- North Tahoe’s Lady Lakers ride to second straight slalom win at Alpine Meadows
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80