Truckee’s Sammy Luebke wins Freeride World Tour event in Andorra
March 6, 2018
Truckee's Sammy Luebke captured his first Freeride World Tour victory of the season on Tuesday morning, March 6, with a win at Vallnord-Arcalis in Andorra.
Luebke, 28, came into the event as the two-time defending men's snowboard Freeride World Champion, but had struggled to fourth- and sixth-place finishes during the first two World Tour events.
The Squaw Valley product got back on track in Andorra with the day's best run, cutting down the powdery slope and throwing a big 360 off a natural feature to finish with a score of 90.33 points. With the win Luebke moves to No. 3 in the Freeride World Tour standings. Luebke is also a member of Stomp Sessions, and will be available to be booked for a riding session at some point later in the year.
Also competing out of Truckee, Jonathan Penfield, 30, had one of the day's best runs going until crashing near the bottom of the course. Penfield finished the day in sixth place, but owns a win at a previous event in Japan. He is currently ranked No. 5 in the Freeride World Tour standings.
In men's skiing, Ryan Faye, 23, of Truckee, was also competing and took a 13th-place finish. Faye is currently ranked No. 18 in the standings.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- Truckee women claim XTERRA titles
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Truckee native and family kick off tribute tour around the country
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit