Truckee’s Sammy Luebke wins Freeride World Tour event in Andorra
March 6, 2018
Truckee's Sammy Luebke captured his first Freeride World Tour victory of the season on Tuesday morning, March 6, with a win at Vallnord-Arcalis in Andorra.
Luebke, 28, came into the event as the two-time defending men's snowboard Freeride World Champion, but had struggled to fourth- and sixth-place finishes during the first two World Tour events.
The Squaw Valley product got back on track in Andorra with the day's best run, cutting down the powdery slope and throwing a big 360 off a natural feature to finish with a score of 90.33 points. With the win Luebke moves to No. 3 in the Freeride World Tour standings. Luebke is also a member of Stomp Sessions, and will be available to be booked for a riding session at some point later in the year.
Also competing out of Truckee, Jonathan Penfield, 30, had one of the day's best runs going until crashing near the bottom of the course. Penfield finished the day in sixth place, but owns a win at a previous event in Japan. He is currently ranked No. 5 in the Freeride World Tour standings.
In men's skiing, Ryan Faye, 23, of Truckee, was also competing and took a 13th-place finish. Faye is currently ranked No. 18 in the standings.
Trending In: Sports
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe