Turning Point on Lake Tahoe fundraiser in motion
August 15, 2008
The Turning Point on Lake Tahoe kayaking fundraiser kicked off from Commons Beach on Friday and will end in the same location Wednesday.
Truckee’s Candace Cable and Hillary Humphreys, both members of Turning Point Tahoe, are kayaking counterclockwise following the lake’s 72 miles of shoreline to raise funds for three disabled local residents ” Hunter Yeider, 11, Ben Sharp, 10, and Erin Freeman, 24.
Twice they’ll stop during the day for a “meet and greet,” once in Tahoe City and again in South Lake Tahoe, where they’ll eat lunch while spreading word out about their cause.
Cable and Humphreys hope to raise about $7,000 to purchase adaptive equipment for the three.
Cable said they have already raised enough funds to order Yeider a sport wheelchair so he can participate in physical education activities at Alder Creek Middle School. Sharp will receive a bi-ski and Freeman a new walker and a year’s supply of sliders for it, Cable said.
The circumnavigation can be followed at http://www.mtdn.com/tahoe, where anyone may post a comment, view photos and donate to the cause. To meet up with Cable and Humphreys on their trip, call 414-4804. For information about Turning Point Tahoe, visit the above Web site or e-mail email@example.com. Donations may also be sent to P.O. Box 8264, Truckee, CA. 96162.
Recommended Stories For You
– Friday (Aug. 15) ” Depart Commons Beach in Kings Beach, arrive in Tahoe City
– Saturday ” Depart Tahoe City, arrive at Sugar Pine Point Sate Park, camp overnight
– Sunday ” Depart Sugar Pine Point, arrive at Emerald Bay Boat Camp, camp overnight
– Monday ” Depart Emerald Bay Boat Camp, arrive at Nevada Beach, camp two nights
– Tuesday ” Depart Nevada Beach, arrive at Sand Harbor, camp at Nevada Beach again
– Wednesday ” Depart Sand Harbor, arrive at Commons Beach in Kings Beach
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Old Tahoe City firehouse could get a makeover
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show