World Cup Alpine racing: Mancuso, Miller honored as athletes of month
March 15, 2010
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. and#8212; The U.S. Olympic Committee announced Alpine skiers Julia Mancuso of Olympic Valley and Bode Miller as its February Athletes of the Month.
After not making the World Cup podium in two seasons, Mancuso won two Olympic silver medals at the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games in the super combined and downhill.
The three-time Olympian finished 0.56 seconds behind winner and teammate Lindsey Vonn (Vail, CO) in the downhill, and in the super combined, finished 0.94 seconds behind gold medalist Germany’s Maria Riesch of Germany.
Miller won three Olympic medals in the Vancouver Games, including bronze in the downhill, silver in the super-G and gold in the super combined.
The four-time Olympian has become the all-time winningest male in U.S. Alpine skiing history. With three medals in Vancouver, Miller becomes the 12th Alpine skier to win three medals at a single Olympic Winter Games. His five total Olympic medals moves him to second on the all-time Alpine skiing medals list among men, behind Norway’s Khetil Andre Aamodt with eight medals.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Wolverines scuttle Pirates to reach first state title game since 2012
- Lastest election results (Nevada/Placer counties, state)