World Cup Alpine racing: Vonn crashes, Mancuso finishes 51st in Austria GS
December 28, 2009
LIENZ, Austria and#8212; American Sarah Schleper kept it together on the icy track in Lienz to lead the U.S. Ski Team in 13th place in a World Cup GS on Monday.
Kathrin Hoelzl of Germany held on to her first-run lead to win the race, while World Cup overall leader Lindsey Vonn crashed on her first run and suffered a bone bruise, and Julia Mancuso of Squaw Valley finished 51st.
The technical first run track claimed numerous top racers, including Vonn, who crashed after her skis locked up going around a gate mid-course, as well as top World Cup challenger Maria Riesch of Germany.
Vonn skied off the mountain under her own power and will likely compete in Tuesdayand#8217;s slalom.
According to womenand#8217;s Head Technical Coach Trevor Wagner, Schleperand#8217;s ability to fixate her skills on the technical portions of the race hill, as well as charging in her second run, enabled her to move up in the GS.
and#8220;Sarahand#8217;s second run was great. She did an amazing job in all the technical parts,and#8221; Wagner said. and#8220;There were some slick spots on the course where everyone had little mistakes, but she got through it.and#8221;
Recommended Stories For You
Also making her mark for a great second run was Megan McJames of Park City, Utah, who, skiing out of bib 50, finished 20th to mark one of the better World Cup results of her career. Her finish scored McJames her first World Cup points since last January, when she was 24th in Maribor.
AUDI FIS WORLD CUP
Womenand#8217;s GS and#8212; Lienz, Austria, Dec. 28,
1. Kathrin Hoelzl, Germany, 2:16.61
2. Manuela Moelgg, Italy, 2:16.66
3. Taina Barioz, France, 2:16.72
4. Federica Brignone, Italy, 2:16.73
5. Viktoria Rebensburg, Germany, 2:16.80
13. Sarah Schleper, Vail, CO, 2:17.95
20. Megan McJames, Park City, UT, 2:18.64
40. Jessica Kelley, Starksboro, VT, 1:12.55
51. Julia Mancuso, Olympic Valley, CA, 1:13.34
DNF: Lindsey Vonn, Vail, CO
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Wolverines scuttle Pirates to reach first state title game since 2012
- Lastest election results (Nevada/Placer counties, state)