Young triathlon club trains to tackle Donner Lake Triathlon
July 16, 2010
TRUCKEE and#8212; It all started with a clever name.
Now, after a half-summer of training under their belts, the 10 young members of the Chasing Shadows triathlon club will find out if their hard work paid off when the 29th annual Donner Lake Triathlon returns to West End Beach on Sunday, July 18.
and#8220;We started this club to get kids who like doing triathlons together,and#8221; said Sarah Clement, head coach of the Truckee-based youth training group. and#8220;There were a couple of kids who had done triathlons, but they were doing everything on their own. With Chasing Shadows, we want to create an environment for kids to have fun together while learning the sport.and#8221;
Club members range in age from 12 to 17.
Theyand#8217;re coached by Clement, whoand#8217;s also an assistant with the Truckee Tahoe Swim Team, as well as Truckee High cross-country coach Pat Matava and Curtis Suckut. Katerina Nash, Julie Young, Gregg Stone and Jill Whisler serve as guest coaches, while Truckee Orthopedic Surgeon Jeffrey S. Dodd is the main sponsor.
and#8220;The idea is to keep it (the club) alive. Weand#8217;ll get the kids together a couple times during the winter, and hopefully keep growing it from there,and#8221; said Clement, whoand#8217;s held training sessions three times a week this summer. and#8220;Itand#8217;s really about life lessons, and the hope is that these are things they can do for the long term.and#8221;
Recommended Stories For You
Team member Erika Klenk, 15, is credited with coining the Chasing Shadows name, while she and Clement came up with the idea to start the club together.
and#8220;Itand#8217;s really cool because I used to just train by myself, and it wasnand#8217;t always that fun,and#8221; said Klenk, who is fresh off competing in the June Lake Triathlon along with Chasing Shadows teammate Danielle Nivinski, 14. and#8220;But now I get to train with other kids, so itand#8217;s a lot of fun.and#8221;
All 10 members are set to compete in the Donner Lake Triathlon, with all but one, Kyle Jorgensen, slated to race the sprint distance. Jorgensen will race the full-length international triathlon, Clement said.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Nevada County Elections: Klovstad, Goodwin, Polivy win Truckee Town Council seats