Youth swimming: Local athletes compete at Short Course Far Westerns
April 10, 2009
Truckee Tahoe Swim Team members Ingrid Suter, 10, and Brittany Percin, 12, qualified to compete in the Short Course Far Westerns held in Morgan Hill, Calif., from April 2 through 5.
More than 1,300 swimmers from across the country competed in the national event, including athletes from as far away as Virginia, the Southeast and Hawaii.
Each swimmer had to achieve a time standard at some point during the season to qualify for the meet.
Percin, who successfully swam the Tiburon Mile Open Water Swim in the San Francisco Bay this past fall, qualified for 11 events. She swam seven of those 11 events ” the maximum allowed ” including the grueling 200 fly and the 1,000-yard free, in which she placed ninth, just three-tenths of a seconds from earning a medal.
Suter qualified for and swam two events ” the 50 and 100 breast.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe races recognized by nation’s oldest association of running organizations
- North Tahoe’s Anderson, Murnane win high school Nordic opener at Sugar Bowl
- Lakers skiers look to continue winning ways at Alpine Meadows
- Ski wrap: Hurt leads Nor-Am Cup standings as tour heads to US
- North Tahoe’s Lady Lakers ride to second straight slalom win at Alpine Meadows
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Town of Truckee looking to relocate downtown transit center
- Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe now serves as a lakewide pet care, resource network
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter