Youth swimming: Local athletes compete at Short Course Far Westerns
April 10, 2009
Truckee Tahoe Swim Team members Ingrid Suter, 10, and Brittany Percin, 12, qualified to compete in the Short Course Far Westerns held in Morgan Hill, Calif., from April 2 through 5.
More than 1,300 swimmers from across the country competed in the national event, including athletes from as far away as Virginia, the Southeast and Hawaii.
Each swimmer had to achieve a time standard at some point during the season to qualify for the meet.
Percin, who successfully swam the Tiburon Mile Open Water Swim in the San Francisco Bay this past fall, qualified for 11 events. She swam seven of those 11 events ” the maximum allowed ” including the grueling 200 fly and the 1,000-yard free, in which she placed ninth, just three-tenths of a seconds from earning a medal.
Suter qualified for and swam two events ” the 50 and 100 breast.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee girls end skid, top Dayton
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City