Squaw deaths: Investigation continues
December 17, 2008
OLYMPIC VALLEY ” The Placer County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation into the three women found dead in a parking lot near Squaw Valley USA resort on Tuesday.
Resort representatives have declined to comment specifically about the investigation, which is ongoing. The three women “-ages 17-22 ” were reportedly employees at the resort, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
“Squaw Valley USA sends our sincerest condolences to the families of the young women,” said Savannah Cowley, Squaw Media and Public Relations. “Our entire community has been shaken by Tuesday’s tragedy. Many Squaw Valley employees were close with the young women, and we ask that you respect their privacy and the privacy of our resort community at this time.”
The Placer County Sheriffs office is waiting for toxicology reports to comment further, though they should have information to release to the public next week, said Lt. Allan Carter.
On Tuesday afternoon, a Squaw Valley security guard found the three young women who appeared to have died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to Carter, the preliminary investigation indicated the women had been sleeping in the car overnight. When snow from Monday’s heavy storm blocked the vehicle’s tailpipe, it caused carbon monoxide to enter the passenger compartment of the car.