Tahoe home permits available | SierraSun.com

Tahoe home permits available

Sun staff report

Placer County is still accepting applications for residential building permits allocated by the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency for 2007.

In another measure of the state’s slowdown in housing construction, nearly half the county’s share of about 50 residential building permits remain available. In recent years, heavy demand for the annual allocations have led planners to conduct a lottery among hopeful applicants.

That’s not the case this year.

The remaining 23 allocations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The county’s Community Development Resource Agency will accept applications through the end of the year, Dec. 31, at 565 West Lake Blvd. in Tahoe City.

Those who obtain allocations before the end of the year will have their plans reviewed under current building codes, rather than under the code amendments that go into effect next year.

A Tahoe planning agency housing allocation typically is required in the Tahoe Basin before a property owner can receive a building permit for a new home.

Recommended Stories For You

Each year, the bistate planning agency decides how many new houses should be allocated and distributes them to local governments in the Basin: Placer and El Dorado counties in California, Douglas and Washoe counties in Nevada and the City of South Lake Tahoe. Any remaining unused 2007 allocations will be forfeited and returned to the Tahoe agency. For information, contact Placer County’s Allen Breuch at 581-6284, or the Tahoe Building Department at 581-6200.