Tahoe Talk: New ski area in Alaska, controlled burns this week and more
From around the globe to out your backdoor, here are the topics to keep you relevant and up-to-date!
- Washoe Co. reports 328 new C19 cases just yesterday!
- NLTRA launches a new initiative for local restaurants called Take Out Lake Tahoe
- Trump rally in Carson Valley raises funds to pay for fines via GoFundMe
- Christmas tree permits on sale for Lake Tahoe on Nov. 16
- North Tahoe Fire District will begin controlled burns this week
- Mammoth announces opening day this Saturday, Nov. 14, Squaw Nov. 25, Homewood Dec. 11.
- Sun Valley Resort, the historic Idaho mountain destination, has been awarded the #1 ski resort by SKI Magazine for 2021.
- A new ski area is coming to the United States this winter. Skeetawk, located in Hatcher Pass, Alaska plans to open on December 5, 2020. For its inaugural season, the new ski area will have a triple chairlift, 10-12 groomed runs and a day lodge. Hatcher Alpine Xperience – the non-profit which will be operating the ski hill – plans to expand the ski area in the years to come to include, ski rentals, ski lessons, lighting, snowmaking, as well as adding additional terrain and lifts
- Tioga Pass still open and Yosemite has dropped the day-use reservation system. Likely still limiting total car count. Also, Emily Harrington, a mountain climber from Placer County, has become the fourth person, and the first woman, to free-climb Yosemite National Park’s El Capitan in a single day
- In other National Park news, Beep, a Florida-based autonomous Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) provider will deploy the first autonomous shuttles at Yellowstone National Park in May 2021. The program will test multi-passenger, electric automated vehicle platforms to provide visitors a safe, innovative and eco-friendly transportation alternative while exploring Yellowstone. The plan is to deploy and operate two autonomous shuttles in the Canyon Village but exact routes and stops have not been determined yet.
- McDonalds introduces their own new meatless burger. What do they call it? The McPlant of course. Plant based options will be available in 2021 for items such as the Big Mac and other signatures as well
- NBA dishes out an early Christmas present. Season will begin Dec. 22nd!
- Last week a Humpback whale scooped up kayakers in Avila Beach, and then spit them back out when it realized what was happening. Photos and video online.
- Sun 11/15 = Nat’l Clean Out Your Fridge Day
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User