Tahoe Vista kitchen fire destroys mobile home
A pan left on a stove sparked a fire that incinerated a mobile home Wednesday morning in Tahoe Vista, according to authorities.
No one was injured in the incident.
The owner of a mobile home in the middle of the trailer park off National Avenue went to visit friends across the street and left food cooking on the stove, which caused the fire, said Pat Dillon, battalion chief for the North Tahoe Fire Protection District. No one was in the home at the time of the fire.
“I took some garbage up and when I came back I saw some smoke coming up and heard a pop and saw the flames and ran back in to call 9-1-1,” said Phyllis Adams,
who lives directly across from where the fire started.
The laundry facility next to the home was spared, but the neighbor’s mobile home and Ford truck were singed by the flames and heat, Dillon said.
Adams said the neighbor was in the home at the time with her baby and when she exited the house and saw the flames she panicked.
“She was screaming and passed out,” Adams noted.
Dillon confirmed that he rendered aid to a woman who had passed out and that another patient needed medical assistance because of anxiety, but that no one was transported to the hospital.
Both the North Tahoe and North Lake Tahoe fire protection districts responded to the call, which came in at 9:37 a.m. Nineteen firefighters were on scene, said Dillon.
Firefighters turned off the gas and electric utilities to the mobile home, which lay underground, but the phone and cable lines above ground were charred.
Dillon praised both fire districts for a speedy response and said the damage could have been much worse if the firefighters hadn’t acted quickly.
“It was fully involved when I got here,” Dillon said of the fire. “They [trailers] go fast. It is a total loss, but the laundry facility was saved. It was a good save of exposures.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Local coronavirus cases reached 3,292 on Friday, a rise of 35 from the day before.