Tahoe’s controversial plan for ‘shorezone’ resurfaces
Sun News Service
Talks this week between the lieutenant governors of Nevada and California appear to have revived discussion about an update to Lake Tahoe’s controversial shorezone ordinances.
“We had a very thorough and frank discussion,” said Nevada Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki. “I think the meeting went very well. There are still very serious details to work out.”
A spokesman from the office of California Lt. Gov. John Garamendi also said Monday that talks were constructive.
“We’re working closely with Lt. Gov. Krolicki,” said Garamendi spokesman Mike Roth. “Lt. Gov. Garamendi believes we have come to a mutual understanding and have a basic framework to move forward on the shorezone program.”
Offices of both lieutenant governors said discussion netted a “framework” for new shorezone ordinances but declined to give details about possible resolutions of conflicts between California and Nevada on the issue.
Updated ordinances to regulate construction activity, including pier construction and buoy placement, near Lake Tahoe’s shoreline have been in development for two decades, hitting a variety of snags throughout the process.
The latest delay occurred last July, when Nevada officials did not echo Garamendi’s concern over single-owner piers. Garamendi previously has pushed for only shared piers to be developed along Lake Tahoe’s shoreline.
The grandfathering of buoys and shoreline access also have been the subjects of recent disagreements between the states.
Officials from the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency plan to present the outcome of the lieutenant governors’ discussion to the agency’s governing board in March, and TRPA staff could have a set of ordinances ready for board approval by summer, said TRPA spokesman Dennis Oliver.