Teachers accept 12 percent pay raise | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Teachers accept 12 percent pay raise

School officials say the climate throughout the district was positive Friday after the district board and teachers union announced they had reached a tentative labor agreement to be finalized next week.

The Tahoe Truckee Education Association accepted the district’s offer of a 12 percent salary increase Thursday morning after months of negotiations and mediation sessions with the school district’s board of trustees, said Steve Jennings, superintendent for the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.

“There’s a lot of relief by a lot of people,” Jennings said Friday.



The offer will be split into a series of 3 percent salary hikes, including a 3 percent raise for the 2007-08 school year effective immediately, a 3 percent raise for the current school year effective immediately, a 3 percent raise on Feb. 1, 2009 and a 3 percent raise on May 1, 2009, Jennings said.

The contract agreement will bring starting teachers’ salaries to $45,903, up from $35,150 four years ago.



As for the charter schools reserve fund ” which delayed a settlement during last week’s negotiations ” discussions over the fund will commence in January and the item was not included in the tentative agreement, Jennings said.

“We have agreed to take part in discussions regarding the charter schools obligation,” Jennings said.

The total amount in the charter schools reserve is approximately $2.5 million and if funds are not required for the Nevada County Office of Education or for the charter schools, 68 percent may be divided among teachers, with the remaining 32 percent to be earmarked for the district’s discretion, pending talks in 2009.

“The teacher’s negotiating team is pleased that a tentative agreement has been signed with the district and are happy with the terms,” said Jon Halvorsen, union vice president. “We fell confident that our members will approve it next week and know that everyone is excited to get back to focusing 100 percent on our students.”

The charter schools fund discussions set for January will coincide with meetings on how best to proceed in future contract negotiations, Jennings said.

“The parties have agreed to meet in an effort to develop a mutually agreeable formula to apply for compensation for 2009 through 2010,” Jennings said.

12: percentage of salary increase

3: percentage to cover 2007-08 school year

9: percentage to cover 2008-09 school year

$35,150: beginning teacher’s salary four years ago

$45,903: beginning teacher’s salary with new contract

$47,602: nationwide average teacher’s salary

$57,604: California’s average teacher’s salary

Some information provided by http://www.employmentspot.com


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User