Three women found dead in car near Squaw | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Three women found dead in car near Squaw

SQUAW VALLEY “-A Squaw Valley security guard found three young women dead Tuesday afternoon in a parking lot near the resort.

According to Lt. Allan Carter of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, Lacey Louann Sutton, 22, of Marysville, Sara Alice McCullah, 21, of Marysville, and a 17-year-old juvenile female from Loma Rica appeared to have died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

“I believe they are employees of the resort,” Lt. Carter said.



According to Carter, the preliminary investigation indicated the women had been sleeping in the car overnight. When snow from Monday’s heavy storm blocked the vehicle’s tailpipe, it caused carbon monoxide to enter the passenger compartment of the car.

Forensic autopsies will be performed by the Placer County Coroner’s office to determine the exact cause of death. There is no indications of foul play or drug use, Lt. Carter said.



According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 500 carbon monoxide deaths occur annually with increases during winter.

Carbon monoxide has no taste, odor or color and, therefore, goes undetected.

When the end of the exhaust pipe is obstructed by snow, carbon monoxide can leak from cracks in the exhaust system, through the floorboard of the vehicle potentially resulting in death from inhalation.

The Sheriff’s Office warned travelers to snow country that they should never sleep in their vehicle with the engine running.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News


See more