Toxic algae found in creek on Tahoe’s West Shore

Staff Report
Signs posted give toxic algae warnings and advice.

TAHOMA, Calif. — Toxic algae has been discovered in a creek on Lake Tahoe’s West Shore.

The algae, cyanotoxin microcystin, was found at strong enough levels in General Creek that triggered posting warning signs.

Those enjoying the outdoors with their pets should be aware of the situation and stay away from algae mats in the water. Pets should not drink the water or eat algal mats in the water or on shore. Children should also be kept from touching or eating the mats. Call the doctor or veterinarian immediately if you or your pet get sick after contact.

Algal mats can be attached to the bottom of the waterway, floating in the water, or washed up on shore. Swimming is allowed in areas without algal mats.

For more information, contact the Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board at 530-542-5425.

Toxic algae was discovered in General Creek on the West Shore.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.