Truckee Day back this Saturday for an 8th year – rain or shine
TRUCKEE, Calif. – Truckee Day is a town-wide street clean up and civic-pride day, now in its eighth successful year. Plan to be part of the fun on Saturday, June 4. Check in stations will open at 8 a.m. Be sure to get there early to get your materials and your volunteer T-shirt.
You’ll be assigned a stretch of road to clean in your neighborhood. Children are welcome as long as they are accompanied by a responsible adult. Then, join your friends and neighbors at the Town-wide block party with barbecue and music starting at noon at Truckee River Regional Park on Brockway Road.
• Have a hearty breakfast!
• You’ll sign a waiver, get your T-shirt, BBQ ticket and bags, and be assigned a stretch of road within your neighborhood. You may have to drive to a specific stretch of road.
• What to wear: 1. long sleeve pants and shirt (bright colors recommended) 2. sunglasses and hat 3. sunscreen and bug repellent 4. gloves 5. sturdy shoes or boots
• What to pick up: roadside trash only. Anything larger may be placed by the side of the road with a bag attached for visibility. Please place mangled and downed snow-poles (town-owned only – they’re steel) next to full trash bags and they will be gathered by town employees later.
• DO NOT trespass on private property! A standard rule is to stay on the road side of utility poles or utility boxes.
• Be traffic-aware. You are on public roads and competing for lane space with automobiles. It is recommended that you have a “traffic spotter” as part of your party. If you have children with you, please stay on secondary or tertiary roads.
• Your whole family is welcome. All adults will sign waivers for themselves and children in their care. NO children will be allowed to be dropped off; they must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
• Where to put the bags: leave full bags, with the tops tightly knotted closed, on the side of the road. Whenever possible please leave the bags at intersections, and ensure you leave the bags where there is room for the TTSD trucks to pull over.
• This will last approximately 1-2 hours, as long as you can stand it or until your stretch of road is done, whichever comes first.
The Truckee Public Art Commission is sponsoring a Found Object Sculpture, which will be permanently installed at the Truckee Community Gardens in Regional Park. Donate a piece of scrap metal, or contribute a piece of memorabilia to be welded into a trellis-shaped artwork. One object per person. All metal considered. No toxic materials or electronics.
You can drop off an object during Truckee Day, at the block part, between noon and 2 p.m. Questions? Contact Celia Howe at 530-587-1409 or Carole Sesko at 530-587-7750.