Truckee girl killed in electrical accident
Truckee is mourning the tragic death of an 11-year-old Truckee Elementary School student who was killed in an electrical accident last week at a friend’s home on Deerfield Drive.
The girl, whose name the Sierra Sun has chosen not to publish, was playing water games with a friend last Thursday afternoon around 4 p.m. when, soaking wet, she opened a kitchen refrigerator door. For reasons not yet fully determined, she received a fatal electrical shock from the appliance.
Truckee Fire Protection District paramedics performed CPR on her without success and took her to Tahoe Forest Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
“The cause of death is still pending additional follow-up investigation to determine if this is an electrocution and what was the source,” said Nevada County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Gary Jacobson.
He said a Nevada County Coroner was consulting someone with specific expertise. He expected the final report to appear this week.
Funeral services took place on Monday, July 17 at the Truckee Christian Center. The girl was inurned at the Sierra Mountain Cemetery.
The victim had just finished fifth grade at Truckee Elementary School and was attending summer school. She is survived by her parents, grandparents and several aunts and uncles.
Mike Bowdish, assistant principal for Truckee Elementary’s summer school session, said that counselors from Truckee Group Individual Family Counseling (TGIF), the school and the Nevada County Mental Health Department have been on hand at the school to help the children through the grief of losing their friend.
A memorial fund may be set up for the family at a future date, and will be announced at that time.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The SnowGlobe Music Festival will not be returning to South Lake Tahoe, the City Council decided on Tuesday.