Truckee police chief, Nevada Co. district attorney discuss state of crime |

Truckee police chief, Nevada Co. district attorney discuss state of crime

Greyson Howard
Sierra Sun

TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212; Homicide and arson may have made the headlines last year, but those are the exceptions to an otherwise safe, low-crime community, Truckeeand#8217;s chief of police said this week.

Truckee Police Department Chief Nick Sensley and Nevada County District Attorney Cliff Newell outlined the state of crime and enforcement to the Daybreak Club on Tuesday, describing trends in crime, and what theyand#8217;re doing about it.

and#8220;Yes, we have had robberies and homicides, but I can thankfully say theyand#8217;re the rare occasion,and#8221; Sensley said. and#8220;Is this a safe and wonderful town? Absolutely. The reality is these things are part of life here and part of what we deal with.and#8221;

In 2008, the department received 17,500 calls for service, Sensley said, with crimes involving theft, domestic violence and intoxication taking up much of its time.

Of those crimes, Newell said more than 80 percent make it to court, compared to 67 percent to 70 percent in western Nevada County, thanks to the police departmentand#8217;s close working relationship with the District Attorneyand#8217;s office.

Sensley said the general public also plays an important role in that success.

and#8220;Three to 5 percent of crimes are solved with the internal resources of the police department and#8212; things like CSI and all that good stuff you see on TV and#8212; the rest, 95 percent, comes from you calling in with information or showing up to court to testify,and#8221; Sensley said.

Newell outlined county-wide trends in crime.

and#8220;Weand#8217;ve made a serious dent in meth trade, but weand#8217;re seeing a real up-swing in opiates and prescription drugs in western county and#8212; Truckeeand#8217;s a little behind that trend,and#8221; Newell said.

Marijuana, prevalent in western county and#8212; particularly North San Juan and#8212; is less of a problem in Truckee, he said.

and#8220;The big issue is medicinal vs. recreational,and#8221; Newell said.

Theft continues, and Newell said he has seen an increase in high tech crime, targeting bank accounts and credit cards.

Looking to the future, Newell said heand#8217;s concerned about potential new laws, like one that would raise the felony level for theft from $400 to $900, because thieves may be more apt to steal if there is lesser punishment in the $400 to $800 range.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User