TTUSD considers school calendars for future years
While school will begin before Labor Day next year, it is still uncertain whether the district will begin school before or after the holiday in the future.
Although the Tahoe-Truckee Unified District Board of Trustees approved the school calendars for the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 school years to start before Labor Day, they approved the motion with concern, and asked TTUSD Superintendent Pat Gemma to have a discussion with the district and teacher’s negotiating team.
Gemma said he is meeting with the negotiating team today to discuss new data that shows there are many teachers and parents that would appreciate starting school after Labor Day. The team originally recommended that school begin before Labor Day; however the classified employees union of bus drivers, secretaries, etc. were in favor of school beginning after the holiday.
The district has been working to gather more teacher, student and community input on the matter, Gemma said. He said there will be more definitive information after the meeting. If the negotiating team wants to change the school calendars, the issue would come back to the board in a future meeting, Gemma said.
Board meeting tonight
The TTUSD’s regular board meeting is scheduled for tonight at 6:30 at Tahoe Lake Elementary School in Tahoe City.
Action items on the agenda include:
– Acceptance of the Elective Study
– Approval of superintendent’s evaluation for 1998-1999
– Approval of the community-based English tutoring program
– Approve resolution #17 – 1999/2000 Measure S tax and adoption of senior citizens exemption rules and regulations
– Approve resolution #18 – 1999/2000 requesting collection of Measure S charges on Placer County tax rolls
– Approve resolution #19 – 1999/2000 authorization for the superintendent of the district to execute tax collection contracts on behalf of the district
– Approve resolution #20 – 1999/2000 resolution of nonreelection of temporary and long-term substitute certificated employees
– Approve #21 – 1999/2000 Transition Partnership Program (TPP) cooperative agreement renewal
– Approve architect agreement with Lionakis-Beaumont Design Group, architectural services for Truckee Middle School
– Approve Truckee-Donner Recreation and Park District maintenance agreement for 2000
Discussion items include:
– Update on new programs at Rideout Elementary
– Application process for 2-way immersion classes at Kings Beach Elementary
– K-5 social studies textbook selection
– Physical science textbook recommendation
For information, call the district office at 582-7600.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User