Two charged with murder in slaying of 9-year-old |

Two charged with murder in slaying of 9-year-old

Jill Darby and Susan Wood, Sun News Service

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. – A 9-year-old girl was found dead Friday when officers rushed a tent at a South Shore campground, ending a lengthy standoff with two adults wanted for kidnapping.

James Csucsai, 35, and 32-year-old Lisa Ann Platz, the girl’s mother, were found in the tent with their wrists slashed about 10:30 a.m. Police moved in after negotiators heard Csucsai say he was losing consciousness; his neck also was cut.

Both adults were taken to Barton Memorial Hospital, where Platz was treated and released into police custody. Csucsai underwent surgery but he was released Friday night.

Both were booked into El Dorado County jail and held without bail Sunday on suspicion of murder. They also face kidnapping charges on a Washington state warrant and federal charges for flight to avoid prosecution. Platz and Csucsai are each charged with murder with special circumstances that include kidnapping and use of a knife.

The maximum punishment upon conviction could be death or life without parole; prosecutors have not yet disclosed whether they intend to seek the death penalty.

Platz and Csucsai were expected to be arraigned on the murder charges Tuesday in El Dorado County Superior Court, but visiting Judge Richard Haugner approved a request by defense lawyers to postpone the hearing until Oct. 25 to analyze evidence.

The dead girl, Rebecca Aramburo, had two neck lacerations, according to investigators. An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday in Auburn, to determine the time and exact cause of her death.

Rebecca was kidnapped at gunpoint Aug. 13 from the Lakewood, Wash., home of her stepmother’s parents, according to Pierce County investigators. Platz earlier failed to appear at a Pierce County court hearing on an earlier charge of custodial interference.

Local police received notice of an FBI fugitive watch Thursday night from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department. The suspects were believed to be en route to South Lake Tahoe, and the advisory included a description of the 1995 Nissan Maxima with Ohio license plates found next to the tent.

Police made contact about 1 a.m., but Csucsai refused to leave the tent, told officers he had a gun and warned them to stay away. At one point, South Lake Tahoe police spokesman Chuck Owens said, the man shouted, “We will not be taken alive.”

No gun was found in the tent, but two knives were recovered. Two handguns and a rifle were found inside the Nissan, Owens said.

More than 50 law enforcement personnel eventually responded, including special tactical teams. Nearby campers were quietly roused from their sleep and evacuated. U.S. Highway 50 was closed through the morning.

Campers were taken to the Inn by the Lake and later settled at the South Lake Tahoe Recreation Center, where they were provided doughnuts and coffee.

Louise Wright of Ventura, Calif., was sleeping when she was startled by shouting from a nearby campsite.

“I was awakened about 2:30 a.m. with yelling and screaming,” she said Friday morning. “I couldn’t see where it was coming from but I opened my window and heard a guy say, ‘What did this little girl ever do to you that you’d want to hurt her?’ I don’t know who said it. About 3:30 a.m. a (police officer) knocked on our door and said to quietly get dressed, not to start any engines and walk off the campground as quickly as we could. It is scary.”

After the standoff ended, stunned campers looked on as detectives and evidence technicians examined the crime scene. Keli Malinoski, 35, of Granite Bay, Calif., said she was waiting outside the restroom Thursday afternoon when Platz and the girl came out.

“The little girl kept staring at me,” Malinoski said, shaking her head in dismay. “I knew something was wrong, I knew it, but what are you going to say? ‘A little girl stared at me?'”

In Lakewood, Wash., Jose Aramburo said he couldn’t understand why anyone would kill his daughter, a brown-eyed girl who loved animals and dressing up as a movie star.

“I loved her so much,” he said at his Lakewood home, filled with friends and family members who had come after hearing of Rebecca’s death.

Earlier this year, Rebecca’s spring break visit with her mother turned into a three-month stint when Platz didn’t return the girl to Aramburo, who had full custody. Law enforcement officials in San Diego found Platz in June and arrested her.

Rebecca went back home to Aramburo and his wife. Platz was extradited to Washington and posted bail, but weeks later, police said, again took Rebecca.

“She’s with her mother and she won’t hurt her,” the child’s uncle, Joe Aramburo, said Friday. “We hung on to that little feeling.”

– The News Tribune of Tacoma, Wash., contributed to this report.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User