Volunteer searcher electrocuted
July 1, 2008
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE ” A search and rescue volunteer was flown to UC Davis Monday night after being electrocuted near High Meadow trail head, authorities said.
Jeanne Horton, 53, of South Lake Tahoe is in stable condition this morning at UC Davis Medical Center, authorities said.
The search and rescue was part of a command post established at around 7:40 p.m. Monday to search for hikers that were reported missing.
Search and rescue volunteers set up a portable radio repeater antenna for communications when it hit a power line, authorities said. An electrical charge from the power line ran down the antenna through search and rescue vehicle occupied by Horton, an El Dorado County sheriff’s spokesman said.
Horton collapsed and was immediately attended to by fellow volunteers, who administered CPR until responding medics arrived on scene, the spokesman said.
Horton was transported to Barton Memorial Hospital in South Lake Tahoe and then transport to UC Davis.
Recommended Stories For You
The search continued through the night and the hikers were found.