West Lake Tahoe house fire still under investigation
July 8, 2010
TAHOMA, Calif. and#8212; Authorities are investigating a recent structure fire that consumed a home on June 25 when gas cans were apparently ignited by a portable generator.
John Pang, chief of Meeks Bay Fire Protection District, said the fire was reported at 12:40 p.m. Heidi Doyle, a state parks ranger, was the first to arrive at the two-story home located on 3rd Avenue. Doyle reported the fire had fully consumed the home, Pang said.
Pang said during the day the power was out on the west shore, and when the owner went on a hike, the gas cans were too close to the portable generator, which started the blaze. The familyand#8217;s dog was killed in the fire.
and#8220;It was one of the fastest burning structure fires that Iand#8217;ve ever responded to, and it was obviously because of the accelerant,and#8221; Pang said.
Pang said CalFire, North Tahoe Fire Protection District, Squaw Valley Fire Department and state parks who assisted with putting out the fire.