Wooster bucks Truckee boys | SierraSun.com

Wooster bucks Truckee boys

Seth Lightcap/Sierra SunTruckee High senior Cody Wicks attacks the basket against Wooster on Friday. The Wolverines lost the nonleague game 52-50 in front of an energized home crowd.

The home gymnasium was energized with avid fans Friday night as the Truckee High boys basketball team came up a bucket short, 52-50, in a hard-fought loss to visiting Wooster.

For the Colts ” a member of the Northern 4A division ” the nonleague victory served as redemption after the Wolverines pulled off a final-second, 50-49 win earlier in the week at Wooster.

Truckee, which dropped to 2-2 on the season, showed promise at the start of the first quarter with good ball movement and spirited defense. Few shots fell for either team, however, as fouls, blocked shots and forced turnovers kept the scoring at bay, resulting in a 7-6 Truckee lead at the end of the first quarter.

Wooster (3-4) woke up offensively in the second quarter as Colts guards hit several jumpers. Truckee’s offense also came alive with help from senior forward Pat Galvin, who drained a 3-pointer to keep his team in the game.

Despite both teams trading baskets, Wooster slowly pulled ahead midway through the quarter by capitalizing on Truckee turnovers. With two minutes remaining in the half, the Colts led by seven points. The widening spread jump-started the Wolverines, who went on a run just before the half to bring the score to 26-23, Wooster.

Truckee came out running hard to start the second half, but sloppy passing and impatient transitions cost the team opportunities.

The Colts’ scoring effort remained steady as they continued to extend their lead with quick play from their guards. Going up by 11 points, Wooster seemed on its way to running away with the game until a late-quarter Truckee rally led by guard Cody Wicks narrowed the margin to eight. The third quarter ended with Wooster on top, 39-31.

The fourth quarter was by far the most exciting eight minutes of the night, as Truckee upped the offensive tempo and pressed hard on defense. The Wolverines’ aggressive play squashed several Wooster attacks but also put the Colts on the free throw line. Consistent shooting from the line kept Wooster on top throughout the fourth despite Truckee’s efforts.

Settling down halfway through the quarter, the Wolverines found their shooting groove and whittled away at the deficit. With three minutes remaining, Truckee evened the score at 42 apiece.

Truckee regained the lead on a pair of free throws by Galvin but immediately lost it on the ensuing trip down the court, when Galvin fouled a Colts shooter who still managed to put it in. Wooster went up by two after tacking on the free throw.

The last minute of the game was a barrage of fouls that put both teams back on the free throw line to decide the winner.

In the end it, Wooster converted more foul shots than the Wolverines, and that was the difference in the game.

“We came out with heart, but we were too slow in the first half,” said Wicks, who led the Wolverines with 16 points. “We needed to get a solid lead and didn’t. Our defense was excellent, though.”

Truckee senior Nick Tennant contributed 12 points and Galvin eight.

Truckee hosts Loyalton on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User