Letter to the Editor: Incredibly, fire in backyard caused by fireworks | SierraSun.com

Letter to the Editor: Incredibly, fire in backyard caused by fireworks

My sincere thanks to the good neighbor(s) who called the fire department on Labor Day when they saw white smoke coming out from the open space behind Somerset Drive.

The flames were about 300-plus feeet from my house which backs to the open space. I was not aware of the smoke as I was in the front of the house. I sure became aware of the fire when I saw three fire engines on my driveway.

The cause of the fire was identified as firecrackers.

I had prepared myself mentally this season for an evacuation, what would I put in my car, etc., but alas, I also thought I would have at least an hour or more to prepare mentally. I can’t accurately express the feeling of powerlessness when you see huge flames near your home. Thanks to the fast response and no winds, evacuation was not necessary.

To all the parents of children and teenagers for whom they buy fireworks, please teach your children responsibility with this kind of entertainment. Preferably do not allow them to play with them under the present dire conditions we are going through. Isn’t the daily smoke reminder enough for parents?

Gina Brown


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


Don Rogers: How the ink rubs off


First there were the funnies, color on Sundays! My little sister and I shared them while our dad, lying on his stomach on the punee, read the rest of the paper remarkably undisturbed by one…

See more