Souvenir provides an interesting twist on Truckee Trivia
TRUCKEE and#8212; Are you a Truckee history buff? Let Truckee Trivia put you to the test. Truckee Trivia consists of 50 playing cards with answers and interesting facts about the people, events and history of Truckee and is packaged in an attractive silver tin and#8212; a great gift or souvenir for friends and family.
Can you answer the following?
1. What was the name of the small steamship that made excursions back and fourth on Donner Lake during the late 1800s?
2. Jacob Teeter was Truckeeand#8217;s bravest constable during the late 1800s. Although proficient with firearms, what weapon of choice did Teeter prefer to keep the peace with in Truckee?
3. What gift was presented to President Theodore Roosevelt by the Citizenand#8217;s Committee when he visited Truckee on May 19, 1903?
Truckee Trivia was created by Scott Oand#8217;Connor, who has always been interested in Truckee history and sought for a creative way to share this history with visitors and locals. With the help of Judy Dunlap and Katie Holley at the Truckee Donner Historical Society, http://www.TruckeeHistory.org, Oand#8217;Connor gathered interesting facts and with fun and challenging questions on the rich history of Truckee.
Truckee Trivia sells for $12.95 at retails stores in Truckee. Oand#8217;Connor also created Lake Tahoe Trivia, Tahoe Ski Trivia, Sugar Bowl Trivia, Squaw Valley Trivia and Heavenly Ski Trivia. For more information a list of retail stores, visit http://www.TahoeTrivia.com.
1. Minnie Moody. Fact: The Minnie Moody could accommodate 30 passengers and she would cross the 3-mile length of Donner Lake in 17 minutes while a brass band entertained those passengers on board.
2. A three foot pick handle. Fact: On one encounter, Teeter surprised three men as they were dividing up the loot near the railroad tracks after having robbed a town merchant. Before these men could pull their guns, Teeter struck them across their foreheads with his pick handle.
3. An Indian basket full of fresh Donner Lake trout. Fact: The largest crowd ever gathered in Truckee as President Roosevelt arrived by train. Roosevelt was pleased with his gift and he took the time to shake hands with all the locals before leaving.