Study: Incline Village fourth best place to retire in Nevada
January 28, 2016
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — SmartAsset, a New York financial technology company, recently released its second annual study on the Best Places to Retire in America.
The study rates cities by their tax friendliness, recreational and social opportunities for seniors, and availability of medical care, among other facts.
Incline Village was ranked No. 4 in Nevada this year, after being unranked in last year's study.
According to the study — which tabs Gardnerville, Carson City and Fallon as Nos. 1-3, respectively — Incline Village comes in above fifth-place Boulder City as a more desirable place to retire.
"A happy, healthy retirement depends a lot on location," according to a news release from SmartAsset. "To find the best places to retire, SmartAsset gathered data on three separate regional factors that affect the quality of life for retirees."
First, the company looked at state and local tax rates, considering two types of taxes: income and sales.
Recommended Stories For You
"We calculated effective rates based on a typical retiree, earning $50,000 annually (from retirement savings, social security or part-time employment), and spending their disposable income on taxable goods," according to the release.
Next, the company determined the number of doctors' offices, recreation centers and retirement centers per thousand residents in each area. Lastly, it found the number of seniors in each area as a percentage of the total population.
"In our final analysis, we ranked each county and city on these three factors, and calculated an average ranking for each area, weighting the three factors equally," according to the company. "The areas with the lowest average ranking are the best places to retire."
Visit bit.ly/1RM3KSr to check out the study specific to Nevada, where you can view 2015 results as well.
As for California, the top five places to retire broke down in this order: Westlake Village, Auburn, Ojai, Placerville and Grass Valley.
Visit bit.ly/1OX4Rcb to learn more about the Golden State's rankings, and visit smartasset.com to learn more about SmartAsset.
Trending In: Real Estate
- Lake Tahoe Home: Things to know when buying property at Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe home: Which native plants will thrive in your summer garden?
- Study: Incline Village fourth best place to retire in Nevada
- Construction progresses on Tahoe Beach Club in South Shore
- Best home buying strategy in Crystal Bay, Incline Village is to not procrastinate
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City