Ajari advances to state meet
At the division swimming trials at the University of Nevada, Reno pool Friday, the Tahoe-Truckee High School girls came out ninth and the boys finished 12th.
Facing stiff competition from big names like Reno, Carson and Galena high schools, the Truckee swimmers finished with the following results:
– Stephanie Bundy – 21st in 200 free (2:23.34); 19th in 500 free (6:28.53)
– Shannon Lankenau – 10th in 200 IM (2:34.15); 17th in 100 back (1:11.61)
– Betsy VanBlarigan – 13th in 200 IM (2:39.16); 14th in 100 breast (1:20.39)
– Robyn Moore – 22nd in 200 IM (2:50.71); 32nd in 100 fly (1:25.89)
– Wesley Ajari – 4th in 200 IM (2:12.70); 4th in 100 breast (1:06.19)
– Tess Lannoy – 12th in 50 free (27.19); 10th in 100 back (1:07.34)
– Tessie Boreen – 30th in 50 free (29.95); 24th in 100 back (1:14.35)
– Elia Burrill – 20th in 100 fly (1:12.52); 13th in 100 breast (1:20.10)
– Leah Frazier – 22nd in 100 free (1:04.06); 21st in 100 back (1:13.92)
– Nikolai Travis – 7th in 500 free (1:04.06); 14th in 100 breast (1:13.49)
Swimmers who placed seventh through 16th swam a consolation heat on Saturday. Those first through eighth swam the championship heat for a trip to state.
Making the finals were Nikolai Travis, who finished seventh in the 500 free and Wesley Ajari, who again took fourth in the 200 IM and the 100 breast.
Ajari will be Truckee’s only swimmer to compete in Las Vegas Saturday, May 22.
The undefeated girls’ team will lose three swimmers this year: Elia Burrill, Stephanie Bundy and Tess Lannoy.
Burrill will attend the U.S. Air Force Academy, Bundy will attend UNR and Lannoy will continue swimming at U.C. Davis.
On May 10, the team finished its end-of-season invitational. Results follow:
– Katie Casey – 11th in 200 IM (3:09.34); 14th in 100 free (1:13.50)
– Lisa Kuchera – 7th in 50 free (29.93); 4th in 500 free (7:29.03)
– Kaitlin Steverman – 38th in 50 free (32.53); 13th in 100 breast (1:35.43)
– Becca Logan – 82nd in 50 free (39.07); 7th in 100 breast (1:31.98)
– Tiffany Hopkins – 90th in 50 free (43.84); 43rd in 100 free (1:42.97)
– Chase Hartzell – 14th in 50 free (31.81); 7th in 100 breast (1:33.50)
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The Truckee baseball team came up shy of a state championship last weekend, falling in Saturday’s title game to Virgin Valley.