All-Sierra Nevada softball team named
The all-Sierra Nevada teams consist of players from schools covered on a regular basis by newspapers in the Sierra Nevada Media Group: The Nevada Appeal, Fallon’s Lahontan Valley News, the Record-Courier, the Tahoe Daily Tribune, the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza and the Sierra Sun.
– Corina Mincey, Truckee: Made all-league first team as a designated hitter. Mincey had a .510 average, 28 RBI and three home runs.
– Dani Turner, Truckee: The senior made first-team all-league at first base. She finished the season with a .487 average, a 1.013 slugging percentage, 43 RBI and nine home runs in 26 games. Turner was also an excellent fielder.
– Lauren Hoppe, Douglas: Best hitter on the team. All-league first team. She batted .471 with four home runs and 28 RBI.
– Mitzi Olsen, Douglas: If not for her pitching, the Tigers would not have made the playoffs. All-league first team. She was 13-9 with 139 strikeouts in 130 innings.
– Tisha Luken, Douglas: A clutch hitter and a solid defensive player at shortstop. An all-league first team pick.
– Christa Casci, Carson: All-league first team. Casci hit .296 with 29 hits, 30 runs, six doubles, three triples, 14 RBI, a .418 slugging percentage, a .420 on base percentage and four stolen bases. She also had a 1.39 E.R.A. in 55.3 innings on the mound.
– Kaitlin Burroughs, Carson: All-league first team. She hit .299 with 29 hits, 24 runs, two doubles, two triples, 11 RBI, a .412 slugging percentage, a .383 on base percentage and six stolen bases.
– Dacey Hassey, Carson: All-league first team. Hassey hit .495 (46-for-93) with 29 runs, 15 doubles, one triple, three home runs, 36 RBI, a .774 slugging percentage, a .566 on base percentage and six stolen bases.
– Kaitlin Porter, Galena: All-league first team. She finished with a .322 average.
– Heather Mathews, Fernley: All 3A State second team. Matthews had a 19-8 record with a 1.87 earned run average with 248 strikeouts and just 33 walks. She also hit .393 with six doubles and 13 RBI. She held opponents to a .186 batting average.
– Quinn Hull-Taylor, Fernley: At second base, she made just three errors all season in being named to the all-state 3A first team. She hit .329 with 12 doubles and 13 RBI.
– Beth Ellis, Fallon: All High Desert League first team. She batted .423 with a .750 slugging percentage and four home runs, 15 RBI and seven doubles. She also homered off of Northern Nevada’s top two pitchers, Spanish Springs’ Mallory Darby and McQueen’s Katie Eshelman.
– Melony Cox, Dayton: An all-state 3A first team choice, Cox hit .500 in Northern 3A play with an .842 slugging percentage, six doubles, two triples, an inside-the-park home run, 15 RBI and 15 runs.
– Honorable mention: Katie Reiswig, Truckee; Cassie Vondrak, Carson.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
When he participated as a mentor for the SOS Outreach program for the first time last year, Crew Stover had few expectations. He finished the first day of skiing at Northstar with his group of…