Incline cross-country: Highlanders earn state berths at regionals
Girls (Top five plus Incline)
1. Elaina Marchegger, Sierra Lutheran, 20:25
2. Sophia Sanchez, North Tahoe, 20:28
3. Elan Lindsey, North Tahoe, 20:45
4. Quinn Lehmkuhl, North Tahoe, 21:06
5. Ella Carr, North Tahoe, 21:37
6. Katie Rye, Incline, 22:13
7. Urs Volz, Incline, 22:24
Boys (Top five plus Incline)
1. Trevor Martin, Silver Stage, 17:43
2. Jared Marchegger, Sierra Lutheran, 17:54
3. Cam Goldstone, North Tahoe, 18:16
4. Cole Snyder, Whittell, 18:35
5. Julien Bordes, North Tahoe, 18:36
18. Cole Powell, Incline, 20:25
23. Nelson Bedient, Incline, 21:03
24. Dillon Jenkins, Incline, 21:14
25. Brent Wolf, Incline, 21:15
26. Jeremy Goldberg, Incline, 21:16
38. Brandon Swick, Incline, 23:42
39. Andrico Mourelatos, Incline, 23:45
Incline sophomore Katie Rye and junior Urs Volz led the Highlanders with top-10 finishes in the Northern Division III regional championship at Reno’s Rancho San Rafael Park on Saturday.
Rye finished sixth, covering the 5K course in 22:13, and Volz was seventh with a time of 22:24. Both runners qualified to run in the Division III state championship this Saturday at the same venue.
Junior Elaina Marchegger of Sierra Lutheran claimed the individual regional title with a time of 20:25, while the North Tahoe girls won the team title with a low score of 24 points to runner-up Sierra Lutheran’s 36. The Lakers placed four runners in the top five and all five of its scoring runners among the top 12.
Wells was the third team to qualify for state, with 69 points. With only two runners, Incline’s girls did not have enough to record a team score.
For the Incline boys, sophomore Cole Powell led the way with an 18th-place finish in 20:25. Powell was followed by teammates Nelson Bedient in 23rd (21:03), Dillon Jenkins in 24th (21:14), Brent Wolf in 25th (21:15) and Jeremy Goldberg in 26th (21:16). Incline’s Brandon Swick placed 38th (23:42) and Andrico Mourelatos was 39th (23:45).
Incline’s boys team finished fourth out of 10 schools with 111 points to earn the final state berth. North Tahoe’s boys won the regional title with 31 points, Sierra Lutheran was second with 70 and Silver Stage third with 78.
Individually, Silver Stage senior Trevor Martin claimed the title with a time of 17:43. The Lakers placed all five of their scoring runners among the top nine.