Parsel, Walstad claim wins in Northstar Mountain Run
Northstar Mountain Run results
Top 10 overall, top five women
1. Patrick Parsel, South Lake Tahoe, 50:46.80
2. Jose Luis Ramirez, Carson City, 58:00.54
3. Kristin Walstad, Alta, 58:45.80*
4. Holden Reed, Truckee, 1:03:11.66
5. Matt Farrington, South Lake Tahoe, 1:05:51.21
6. Dolores Bergmann, Chester, 1:06:40.91
7. Todd Tanis, Truckee, 1:09:35.96
8. Francis Remedios, Sacramento, 1:11:11.63
9. Dan Jenkins, Truckee, 1:11:30.54
10. Unknown racer, 1:11:40.93
17. Maureen Sheehan, Truckee, 1:18:39.17
22. Erika Kikuchi, Redwood City, 1:21:19. 55
23. Kara Miffitt, South Lake Tahoe, 1:21:49.75
* Indicates first female finisher.
Kristin Walstad is a solid pick to win just about any middle-distance run she enters in the Lake Tahoe area. Throw a mountain into the equation, and she’s pretty much a lock.
Just six days after winning the women’s division of the 35th annual Squaw Mountain Run — for the third time — the 42-year-old Alta resident topped the women’s field while placing third overall in the Northstar Mountain Run on Sunday.
Walstad, a four-time Northstar Mountain Run champion (2010, ‘11, ‘13, ‘14), covered the 10.6-kilometer uphill course in under an hour, posting a time of 58:45:80. That was nearly three minutes faster than her winning time from last year (1:01:42).
Patrick Parsel, 29, of South Lake Tahoe claimed the overall victory with a time of 50:46.80. Jose Luis Ramirez, 31, of Carson City finished runner-up in 58:00.54, and 19-year-old Holden Reed of Truckee finished fourth in 1:03:11.66.
Parsel finished second in this year’s Squaw Mountain Run and won the event in 2006. He also won the Run to Squaw race in June.
Dolores Bergmann, 43, of Chester was the second woman and sixth overall with a time of 1:06:40.91, and Maureen Sheehan of Truckee placed third among woman and 17th overall in 1:18:39.17.
Among other top local finishers, Truckee’s Todd Tanis (1:09:35.96) and Dan Jenkins (1:11:30.54) placed seventh and ninth, respectively, and Stefan Tampe of Incline Village was 12th (1:12:47.20.).
The run, which measures close to 6.6 miles, starts in the Village at Northstar at 6,350 feet and tops out at 8,383 feet. It finishes in front of the Tahoe Zephyr Express on Mt. Pluto, at 7,894 feet.
A total of 53 people participated in what was the sixth of 12 events on the Tahoe Trail Running Series calendar.
Find a photo gallery from the run here.