Scenery aplenty in Sierra Crest 50K/30K Trail Runs
Sierra Crest 30K/50K results
Top 10, top five women
1. Donald Montgomery, Truckee, 2:31:13
2. Hudson Verbeck, 2:36:42
3. Ross McMahan, Incline Village, 2:38:35
4. Mason Osgood, Reno, 2:42:42
5. Spencer Eusden, Truckee, 2:44:30
6. Peter Carroll, Truckee, 2:52:25
7. Mike Manis, Grass Valley, 2:58:12
8. Dylan Andrews, Truckee, 3:02:29
9. Jan Holan, Truckee, 3:03:13
10. Jennifer Pfeifer, El Dorado, 3:04:42*
11. Brigit Johnston, Los Gatos, 3:14:26
13. Frances Finney, Truckee, 3:15:16
15. Miriam Smith, Reno, 3:17:59
17. Holly Scala, Reno, 3:19:24
Top 10, top five women
1. Zach Violett, Bend (Ore.), 4:10:53
2. Craig Steinmaus, San Francisco, 4:44:11
3. Keith Nobile, Folsom, 5:07:10
4. Kelly Devine, Bishop, 5:10:57*
5. Elisheva Verdi, Auburn, 5:45:48
6. Brad Chase, Reno, 5:55:15
7. Erika Small, Granite Bay, 5:57:51
8. Jason Riddle, Reno, 6:00:55
9. Ian Gustin, Folsom, 6:00:55
10. Matt Holihan, Reno, 6:10:52
12. Ali Ware, Foresthill, 6:23:05
13. Jeanie Ward-Waller, Sacramento, 6:28:45
When the going got tough in the inaugural Sierra Crest 50K and 30K Trail Runs on Saturday, the 90-plus participants could at least take solace in the scenery.
The point-to-point trail runs were highlighted by expansive mountain views between the Tahoe Donner Cross Country start and the finish line at the Auburn Ski Club Training Center. Runners were treated to an assortment of terrain along the way, including the Euer Valley, Frog Lake Cliffs, Summit Lake and Castle Peak.
Twenty-eight people reached the finish of the 50K, which challenged the field with 8,785 feet of total elevation gain and loss. The 30K was no cakewalk, either, as its 61 finishers faced 6,441 feet of total climbing and descending.
Zach Violett, a 33-year-old former Far West Nordic racer who now lives in Bend, Ore., raced to victory in the 50K, posting a time of 4 hours, 10 minutes and 53 seconds. Craig Steinmaus, 53, of San Francisco finished runner-up with a time of 4:44:11, and Keith Nobile, 38, of Folsom was third in 5:07:10.
Thirty-one-year-old Kelly Devine from Bishop claimed the women’s win with a time of 5:10:57, which was good enough for fourth place overall. Elisheva Verdi, 39, of Auburn was the second woman and fifth overall in 5:45:48, and Erika Small, 42, of Granite Bay was the third woman and seventh overall (5:57:51).
Truckee’s Jon Emis, 34, was the top local finisher in 14th place. He covered the course in 6:37:56.
In the 30K, Donald Montgomery, 45, of Truckee took the win with a time of 2:31:13. Montgomery was followed by 18-year-old Hudson Verbeck of Truckee, who crossed the finish in 2:36:42, and Ross McMahan, 45, of Incline Village (2:38:35). Truckee’s Spencer Eusden, 25, was fifth (2:44:30).
Jennifer Pfeifer, 43, of El Dorado was the top woman and 10th overall in 3:04:42, Brigit Johnston of Los Gatos placed second among women and 11th overall (3:14:26), and Frances Finney of Truckee was the third woman and 13th overall (3:15:16).
The event was a fundraiser for the Auburn Ski Club Training Center Biathlon Program led by former Olympian Glenn Jobe. Find complete results at auburnskiclub.com.