South Shore runner wins Marlette 50K
Marlette 50K/10-Mile results
1. Patrick Parsel, South Lake Tahoe, 3:54:20
2. John Zebrack, unknown, 4:47:52
3. Patrick Wallave, Danville, 5:03:58
4. Mike Melkonian, Mammoth Lakes, 5:05:53
5. Nicholas Laughton, Fernley, 5:59:16
6. Tony Moore, Gardnerville, 6:00:06
*7. Nedis Della Chiesa, Napa, 6:16:34
8. Erik Dahlberg, Victorville, 6:17:32
9. Mia Martinez-Shull, El Dorado Hills, 6:19:46
10. Rick Santos, Rancho Cordova, 6:19:51
13. Diana Phillips, Oakland, 6:26:26
16. Joanne Pilkington, Reno, 6:39:37
18. Janice Pilkington, Tahoe City, 6:51:22
*1. Kristin Walstad, Alta, 1:12:46
2. Tanis Todd, Truckee, 1:21:37
3. Craig Nottingham, Truckee, 1:28:08
4. Greg Mandler, Stockton, 1:30:06
5. Vicki Klie, Truckee, 1:30:52
6. Cory Avery, Reno, 1:31:08
7. Bruce Aldrich, Truckee, 1:31:29
8. James Schroder, Fallon, 1:33:55
9. Scott Montgomery, Truckee, 1:33:55
10. Emma Medara, Truckee, 1:34:49
13. Rayni Melkonian, Mammoth, 1:38:28
*Indicates top woman
South Lake Tahoe runner Patrick Parsel has enjoyed a successful summer of racing on the other side of the lake.
The 29-year-old added another win to his resume in dominant fashion this past Sunday. Parsel — who won the Northstar Mountain Run and the Run to Squaw, and finished second in the Squaw Mountain Run — claimed victory by almost a one-hour margin in the Marlette 50K.
He covered the roughly 31-mile course through the Spooner Lake Backcountry in 3 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds. The next runner across the finish, John Zebrack, posted a time of 4:47:52. Patrick Wallave of Danville rounded out the top three in 5:03:58.
Nedis Della Chiesa of Napa was the top woman and seventh overall in 6:16:34. She was followed by Mia Martinez-Shull of El Dorado Hills, who was ninth overall in 6:19:46, and Diana Phillips of Oakland, who was 13th overall in 6:26:26.
Twenty-nine people reached the finish. Three dropped.
The event also included a 10-mile run that started and ended at Spooner Lake.
Alta resident Kristin Walstad, 42, who also has enjoyed a fine season of racing in the North Lake Tahoe area, claimed the overall victory with a time of 1:12:46. Walstad topped the women’s field in both the Squaw Mountain Run and Northstar Mountain Run earlier this summer
Truckee’s Tanis Todd (1:21:37) and Craig Nottingham (1:28:08) finished second and third, respectively.
Vicki Klie of Truckee placed second among women and fifth overall with a time of 1:30:52. Reno’s Cory Avery was the third woman and sixth overall in 1:31:08.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
North Tahoe senior Etienne Bordes had a standout day on the track in Colfax, capturing a pair of first-place finishes as athletes from nine other schools competed at Friday’s invitational.