South Shore runner wins Marlette 50K
Marlette 50K/10-Mile results
1. Patrick Parsel, South Lake Tahoe, 3:54:20
2. John Zebrack, unknown, 4:47:52
3. Patrick Wallave, Danville, 5:03:58
4. Mike Melkonian, Mammoth Lakes, 5:05:53
5. Nicholas Laughton, Fernley, 5:59:16
6. Tony Moore, Gardnerville, 6:00:06
*7. Nedis Della Chiesa, Napa, 6:16:34
8. Erik Dahlberg, Victorville, 6:17:32
9. Mia Martinez-Shull, El Dorado Hills, 6:19:46
10. Rick Santos, Rancho Cordova, 6:19:51
13. Diana Phillips, Oakland, 6:26:26
16. Joanne Pilkington, Reno, 6:39:37
18. Janice Pilkington, Tahoe City, 6:51:22
*1. Kristin Walstad, Alta, 1:12:46
2. Tanis Todd, Truckee, 1:21:37
3. Craig Nottingham, Truckee, 1:28:08
4. Greg Mandler, Stockton, 1:30:06
5. Vicki Klie, Truckee, 1:30:52
6. Cory Avery, Reno, 1:31:08
7. Bruce Aldrich, Truckee, 1:31:29
8. James Schroder, Fallon, 1:33:55
9. Scott Montgomery, Truckee, 1:33:55
10. Emma Medara, Truckee, 1:34:49
13. Rayni Melkonian, Mammoth, 1:38:28
*Indicates top woman
South Lake Tahoe runner Patrick Parsel has enjoyed a successful summer of racing on the other side of the lake.
The 29-year-old added another win to his resume in dominant fashion this past Sunday. Parsel — who won the Northstar Mountain Run and the Run to Squaw, and finished second in the Squaw Mountain Run — claimed victory by almost a one-hour margin in the Marlette 50K.
He covered the roughly 31-mile course through the Spooner Lake Backcountry in 3 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds. The next runner across the finish, John Zebrack, posted a time of 4:47:52. Patrick Wallave of Danville rounded out the top three in 5:03:58.
Nedis Della Chiesa of Napa was the top woman and seventh overall in 6:16:34. She was followed by Mia Martinez-Shull of El Dorado Hills, who was ninth overall in 6:19:46, and Diana Phillips of Oakland, who was 13th overall in 6:26:26.
Twenty-nine people reached the finish. Three dropped.
The event also included a 10-mile run that started and ended at Spooner Lake.
Alta resident Kristin Walstad, 42, who also has enjoyed a fine season of racing in the North Lake Tahoe area, claimed the overall victory with a time of 1:12:46. Walstad topped the women’s field in both the Squaw Mountain Run and Northstar Mountain Run earlier this summer
Truckee’s Tanis Todd (1:21:37) and Craig Nottingham (1:28:08) finished second and third, respectively.
Vicki Klie of Truckee placed second among women and fifth overall with a time of 1:30:52. Reno’s Cory Avery was the third woman and sixth overall in 1:31:08.
Support Local Journalism
Your support means a better informed community.