Truckee soccer | Boys, girls win big in first-round playoff games |

Truckee soccer | Boys, girls win big in first-round playoff games

Photos by Sylas Wright / Sierra Sun

TRUCKEE, Calif. – The quarterfinal round of the Northern Division I-A soccer tournament did not pose much of a challenge for the Wolverines.

Both squads cruised to easy victories in the home matches Tuesday, as the boys shut out Dayton 8-0 before the girls took care of Fernley by a 6-1 score.

Neither squad lit up the net in the early going, however, as the boys didn’t get on the board until a goal by Thomas Arnstein in the 27th minute, while the girls trailed 1-0 before knotting the score in the 21st minute and pulling ahead in the 39th.

The Wolverines made up for their slow starts with big second halves. The boys scored five goals after the break and the girls four.

“The second half was much better than the first,” said Truckee girls coach Katie Jamison. “We settled down and played how we’re supposed to, and started connecting passes.”

Truckee’s boys, which are seeded No. 1 out of the Mount Rose League, started things off with a 1 p.m. game at River View Sports Park (games were bumped up a day due to the threat of weather).

Although the Wolverines dominated possession throughout the contest, they could not manage to get on the board at the start. Finally, nearly 30 minutes in, Arnstein beat a defender with his speed and buried a low shot past the reach of Dayton goalie Edgar Diaz.

The rout was on from there.

Arnstein added another goal minutes later after receiving a perfectly placed cross from Austin Simonpietri directly in front of the goal. Simonpietri then headed in another accurately placed cross, this one from Nash McMullen, to extend the lead to 3-0 entering the half.

In the opening minutes of the second half, Jesse Fereira got his head on a corner kick by Nico Kuyper for a 4-0 lead. Fernando Rodriguez got in on the scoring with a goal assisted by Rolando Zarate in the 50th minute, while Zarate put in another goal two minutes later as he cleaned up the rebound of a shot off the crossbar by Rodriguez.

David Martinez pushed the lead to 7-0, assisted by Zarate, and Arnstein recorded a hat trick with his third goal in the final minute to round out the scoring.

“That was a much better second half, but it still was not pretty soccer,” Truckee head coach Casey Eberhardt told his players after the game.

“In the second half we had a little more communication and were moving the ball, which is what we always try to do,” the coach added. “There was too much dribbling in the first half.”

Truckee will now face the winner between fifth-seeded Spring Creek and fourth-seeded Fallon in the semifinal round Friday in Elko. The tournament continues Saturday with the regional final. Only the top two teams advance to state.

The Truckee girls had several scoring opportunities slip through their fingers in the opening 20 minutes against the Vaqueros.

Fernley, meanwhile, did not miss out on its first chance to get on the board, as Maria Sanchez blasted a tough-angle shot from about 40 yards out that got past Truckee goalie Cassandra Sawyer, giving the visitors a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute.

“I was not concerned. Just frustrated that it happened,” Jamison said. “But I credit Fernley. They took advantage.”

Truckee made amends just four minutes later, as senior Shelby Matthews answered with her own long shot from outside the 18-yard box, which sailed past Fernley goalie Penny Kernes.

The Vaqueros fended off the Wolverines’ consistent attack with feisty defensive play led by Kylie Hargett, Brooke Grossman and Gisselle Rios.

But it was only a matter of time before Truckee broke through with the go-ahead goal. A fine goal it was, too, as senior captain Olivia Duner called off teammate Marcelle Reynaud and ripped a hard shot from 15 yards out into the upper netting, just under the crossbar and out of the reach of Kernes.

The second half was all Truckee.

Eight minutes in, Ashley Harris headed in a nice cross from Quinn Parker, giving the Wolverines a 3-1 lead, while just one minute later, Parker scored on a cross from Harris, using her state champion sprinter speed to beat Kernes to the ball.

Truckee extended its lead to 5-1 in the 61st minute when Parker followed the rebound of a shot that deflected off of Kernes’ hands. The Wolverines capped the scoring in the 75th minute after Kaylee Neill gathered a through ball from Duner.

“We played a good first 30 minutes,” said Fernley head coach Piper McCarthy. “But we came out in the second half and didn’t do anything we talked about. We fizzled out.”

The Wolverines now face the formidable task of playing two-time defending state champion South Tahoe in an elimination semifinal game Friday in Elko. Only the top two teams from the regional tournament advance to state, meaning the loser is done for the year.

“We going to have to take advantage of every opportunity we have to beat South Tahoe,” said Jamison, whose team tied the Vikings 2-2 in both regular-season meetings.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User