Truckee soccer takes big lead, Mother Nature wins |

Truckee soccer takes big lead, Mother Nature wins

Alex Close/Sierra SunTruckee High junior Max Brixey runs with the ball during the Wolverines' match against visiting Whittell on Tuesday. Truckee led 7-0 at halftime, when officials called the game due to lightning.

Truckee’s varsity boys soccer team was halfway through a route of visiting Whittell when a thunderstorm at Truckee RiverView Sports Park caused officials to call the game at halftime on Tuesday.

After a dynamite season last year in which Truckee took second place in the Nevada State Championship to rival North Tahoe, the Wolverines have lost very few players and are looking smooth and fluid even at this early stage of the season.

The Wolverines, fresh off a championship at the Galena Tournament last weekend, wasted no time jumping all over Whittell.

Five minutes into the match, Erling Selen blasted a near-post shot off a nice through-pass to put Truckee up 1-0.

Not two minutes later, Joey Eberhardt made good on a breakaway to double the Wolverines’ lead.

After eight minutes of dominating Truckee play, junior midfielder Max Brixey was fouled just outside the area, and although Brixey kept possession and broke through the back line, the official blew her whistle and awarded Truckee a free-kick just outside the penalty area.

Brixey took advantage of a poorly placed wall and slotted the free-kick into the side netting.

The junior didn’t waste any time tallying his second goal, collecting a nicely slotted through-ball from Eberhardt and slipped it passed the Whittell goalkeeper to put Truckee up 4-0.

Raul Cardenas slotted a lovely long cross into the side net for Truckee’s fifth goal.

Two minutes later, Cardenas tallied his second goal by tucking the ball neatly into the back of the net on a breakaway.

Truckee’s seventh goal came minutes before the halftime whistle. Austin Prouty played a long cross past the goalmouth, where it appeared to be going over the endline but was headed deftly back across the six-yard box by A.J. DelForge to Salvador Tejeda, who then headed it neatly into the back of the net.

As both teams ran toward the benches after the halftime whistle, cracks of thunder and nearby lightning bolts prompted the officials to delay the restart of the game.

When the storm did not let up, officials called off the remainder of the match as well as the girls varsity game that was scheduled to follow.

Truckee’s boys and girls soccer teams travel to Sparks for a league match on Sept. 4. The boys are scheduled to play at 3 p.m. and the girls at 5.

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User