Varsity soccer beats Bishop Manogue |

Varsity soccer beats Bishop Manogue

Starting off with intense hustle the Truckee High School varsity boys’ soccer team defeated Bishop Manogue 4-2 on Thursday.

At the sound of the first whistle the Wolverines showed great hustle and speed on both sides of the ball.

Within the first few minutes the Wolverines scored when Danny Rostad’s kick deflected off a defenders’ back and into the goal.

“They came out with life, but then with the first goal the guys thought it was going to be easier than it was,” said head coach Rob Curtis.

Manogue started off in the same way the Wolverines usually start out. Early in the first half Manogue looked sluggish, but as the half progressed so did their speed and intensity.

The Wolverines were able to set the tone early on with plenty of communication which lead to great passing. But as the communication died out, so did the one-touch passes and great lead passes that were so prevalent early on.

Truckee’s goalie Clayton Bena came up with some key saves early on.

Manogue’s defense began to tighten down on the Wolverines and for several minutes both teams struggled to clear the ball from their zone.

Manogue’s offense eventually found its pick-me-up with a goal on a penalty-kick to tie up the game.

The Wolverines began to communicate and establish good passing which again lead to more shots on goal. Kevin Waters was taken down in the goal box but no penalty was called.

On the opposite end of the field Bena came up with another good save to keep the teams even.

In the beginning of the second half Scott Eberhardt wasted no time shooting a goal to put the Wolverines ahead by one.

The Wolverines began to put pressure on the goalie while on the other end of the field Bena continue to make good saves. But Manogue’s offense showed good ball handling skills to find a hole in the Truckee defense to tie the game at two apiece.

Sean Collins was mugged in the goal box to earn a penalty kick for the Wolverines. On the penalty kick #16 sent a rocket kick into the back of Manogues’ goal to put the Wolverines up by a goal.

The Wolverines continued to put good pressure on the goalie until #14 was taken down in the goal box while driving to the net with minutes left in the game. #16 stepped up to fire his second penalty kick to the back of the net and put the Wolverines up by two.

For the most part Truckee kept the heat off Bena in the second half.

“The second half was good for us as far as execution of plays and utilizing the width of the field,” Curtis said. “Once they got fired up they were executing with efficiency.”

The Wolverines play against Dayton today and Whittell on Thursday.(?)

Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User